ZocdocAnswersAre the red bumps on my forehead acne?

Question

Are the red bumps on my forehead acne?

Only on my forehead, I?ve broken out in a lot of little red bumps. They don?t hurt or itch though. Is this acne or something else?

Answer

It is certainly possible that this is acne. Acne usually appears as reddened, raised bumps that are variable in size and may have pus inside of them. Unless acne is very inflamed or infected, it may not hurt or itch. However, it is not possible to confirm this is acne without going to see your primary care doctor, as there are several other common rashes that can be confused with acne. For example, an allergic reaction, called contact dermatitis, may develop on any surface of the skin that comes into contact with something you are allergic to, such as a new personal care product, laundry detergent, poisonous plant, etc. In the early stages, it may be hard to tell the difference between acne and contact dermatitis. Similarly, heat rash, or prickly heat, is a rash that occurs when sweat glands become clogged due to excessive sweating. This is different than acne tends to be more inflamed and last longer than heat rash, which usually clears up quickly with some simple skin hygiene. I recommend that you go see your primary care doctor. They will be able to determine which kind of rash you have and will recommend an appropriate treatment.