ZocdocAnswersWhy do I taste blood when I cough and sneeze?

Question

Why do I taste blood when I cough and sneeze?

I have pretty bad seasonal allergies that were particularly bad this summer. Now, when I cough or sneeze, I feel like I?m tasting blood. I haven?t seen any come out, but I?m nervous. Is this just mucous or is something wrong with my nose or chest?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you have such bad seasonal allergies. I would highly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this problem if you have not done so and if you still have significant symptoms. When you have nasal allergies, it is common for the lining of the nasal passages to be swollen, friable, and inflamed. This means that when you cough or sneeze, there may be enough pressure or force to cause some minimal bleeding, which is probably what you are experiencing. I think the fact that you haven't experienced any frank nose bleeding or blood when coughing is reassuring that this is not a serious problem. However, you should definitely get your allergy symptoms under control. Your primary care doctor will be able to determine how severe your allergies are and, based on this information, make recommendations for which medications you should use, which might include anti histamine medications as well as nasal steroid sprays. Your doctor may also recommend air purifiers or mattress covers, depending on what your allergy source is, or nasal irrigation with saline solution. Good luck, and I hope that you are starting to feel better very soon!