ZocdocAnswersCould frequent muscle strains mean I have fibromyalgia?

Question

Could frequent muscle strains mean I have fibromyalgia?

Whenever I work out or exercise, I feel like I get a muscle strain or muscle pull. This never used to be a problem. Is it possible that I now have fibromyalgia? I read some stuff online about it and it kind of sounds like what I have.

Answer

I have to say that your problem does not sound like fibromyalgia. I have a few reasons for this. First, your symptoms of muscle pain seem to occur only after you exercise. Exercise is a very common cause of muscle pain especially if you only work out every once in a while. You may try stretching more before you work out or using a heating pad in the evening over the affected muscles. Other causes of muscle pain after you work out include rare mitochondrial diseases and some medications. These may need ruled out if your symptoms are severe, or if they don't improve with standard therapies. Fibromyalgia is a condition that is diagnosed only after all other causes of pain have been ruled out. It is a condition of generalized muscle pain that is localized to particular trigger points. Patients experience pain in the form of a general ache that occurs whether they exercise or not. Depression is a commonly seen in patients with fibromyalgia. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. If more testing is needed, your doctor may need to refer you to a rheumatologist, though this is rarely needed.