How do you cure an ear infection?

I think my son has an ear infection. He has had one before and is complaining of the same kind of pain and issues. Is there a way to make it go away without seeing a doctor? What if he just keeps getting ear infections?
Unfortunately, you are going to have to go see your pediatrician. There is no way to diagnose an ear infection without having a trained medical professional look inside the ear and determine whether or not one is present. Similarly, if an ear infection is present, it will require antibiotics in order to clear up, something that will also require visiting your pediatrician. Sometimes a bit of ear pain can be present with a cold or throat infection without it being a full blown ear infection. This occurs because, with the inflammation brought on by the cold, a bit of fluid gets trapped behind the ear drum, causing some pressure and pain. This usually resolves over a few days with anti inflammatory medications and is not a true infection - therefore not requiring antibiotics. Your doctor will be able to determine if this is what is going on or if it is a true infection. It is common for children to have several ear infections. However, if the ear infections become frequent, then this is something your doctor will discuss with you. Often, referral to an ear, nose, and throat doctor is required in order to consider placing tubes in the ears.

Other Pediatricians