Why is my stomach gurgling?

I seem to have a growling, gurgling stomach, even when I am not hungry. Its the same kind of sounds and feelings as when I?m very hungry though. What?s going on? Do I have an ulcer or something? Some pain, but nothing too bad.
Stomach gurgling is generally a sign that the intestines are functioning normally. The gurgling noise is a result of gas and liquids inside the stomach being moved around by the contracting action of the intestines. This most commonly occurs after a meal, of course, but it also occurs periodically throughout the day. Your intestines actually have a sort of built in clock which triggers several episodes of coordinated contraction throughout the day - even if you are not hungry. You only need to worry about excessive gurgling of the stomach if it is also associated with other symptoms. For example, excessive gurgling coupled to a burning pain in your stomach may be a sign of inflammation of the stomach lining. Similarly, gurgling coupled to crampy abdominal pain may be a sign of a food intolerance, such as lactose intolerance, or irritable bowel syndrome. If you have some of these other symptoms, then it would be worth while to go see your primary care doctor, who will be able to perform an examination as well as some basic tests and help you figure out what is going on. Otherwise - if you are symptom free - then I would not worry about the gurgling noises too much!

Other Gastroenterologists