ZocdocAnswersCould the pain in my abdomen be diverticulitis?

Question

Could the pain in my abdomen be diverticulitis?

I?ve heard about diverticulitis and how it is a condition with your intestine. Is this why my stomach hurts and I have to go the bathroom all of the time? Could my doctor test me for diverticulitis?

Answer

Diverticulitis is a complication of diverticulosis. Diverticulosis is a condition that is commonly developed as people age. Small outpouchings form in the wall of the colon - most commonly in the part called the sigmoid colon. It is believed to be caused by increased strain over time and is associated with a high fat, low fiber diet. Incidence of diverticulitis increases with age, specifically after 40s. Most people that have diverticulosis don't know it. Diverticulosis is diagnosed either by abdominal/pelvic CT scan or colonoscopy and is usually an incidental finding. Diverticulitis is inflammation and infection of the diverticuli. These can in turn lead to colonic abscesses and perforations. Generally speaking diverticulitis causes lower abdominal pain on the left side. It does not cause stomach pain which is located higher in the abdomen. It is also unlikely to be the cause of your frequent bowel movements. There are many reasons why your stomach may be hurting and causing you to go to the bathroom all the time. Some possibilities include gastroenteritis, gluten allergy, clostridium difficile infection, inflammatory bowel disease, etc. The exact cause would be dependent on your age, symptoms, duration, etc. I highly recommend that you see your gastroenterologist to work up the cause of your symptoms.

Search for an answer:

Need More Info?