Does having a varicocele cause long-term health problems?

My urologist said that I have a varicocele. I?m a 21 year old male and don?t know what to do about it. He said it doesn?t need to be treated and I don?t have much testicle pain. But I don?t want to have problems down the line. Should I do something about it? What can I do?
Normal the testicle is drained by a complex tangle of veins called the pampiniform plexus. These run up the back of the testicle, out of the scrotum, and into the abdomen. When these veins become abnormally dilated, this is called a varicocele. Normally, varicocele is not a major medical problem and it does not cause any symptoms. Also, it cannot usually be seen or noticed without feeling the scrotum and testicle. Therefore, generally, it does not need to be treated. In rare cases, a varicocele can cause symptoms of scrotal pain or fullness. If these are intolerable, this might be an indicated to get rid of the varicocele. Also, occasionally, a varicocele may be associated with decreased fertility, which would be the other major reason for treatment. Treatment of a varicocele requires surgical removal. This is a simple surgical procedure performed by a urologist, and it does not generally require staying in the hospital over night. Basically, a small incision in made near the varicocele, and then the urologist removes the excess veins. If you have significant pain or are otherwise concerned, please discuss with your urologist whether or not a surgical repair of the varicocele would be right for you.

Other Urologists