ZocdocAnswersCould my air conditioner give me a chest problem?

Question

Could my air conditioner give me a chest problem?

My air conditioner kind of smells funny and its in my bedroom. Lately been coughing a lot, even now that I've turned of the AC. Could it cause chest and lung problems? How do I know if I?m breathing bad stuff in?

Answer

I think that you probably need to replace your air conditioner or take it to get cleaned as soon as possible. In the meantime, I would avoid using it. Sometimes air conditioners, especially if they haven't been used in a while, can be a source for fungus and mold. When you turn on the unit, it can actually start blowing those air contaminants into your apartment! If you have a problem with inside allergies, this will definitely make the problem worse, and will lead to coughing, congestion, and other symptoms. I would also recommend that you go to see your doctor. They will be able to perform a general examination and confirm that the problem you are dealing with is allergies. Make sure to mention to your doctor if you have nasal stuffiness or sneezing or itchy eyes. Also mention what your cough has been like and if you have had any fever, wheezing, or shortness of breath. The answers to these questions will help them rule out serious problems and narrow down the diagnosis. If this turns out just to be a flare related to allergies, then there are excellent medications that can be used to treat the problem!