Is it okay to buy prescription drugs over the internet?

I found out I can buy the drugs that my doctor prescribed me on the internet. Is this safe? Are the drugs available on the internet the same as the ones I would get at my local pharmacy?
The answer to this question depends on the on-line pharmacy you are talking about. On-line pharmacies that are very large chains that are well known can be used to purchase prescription medications over the internet that are then sent to you by mail. These pharmacies still require a prescription from a physician before they will send you the drug. In some cases they are cheaper than buying the medications at one of the branch locations. There are some sites where you may be able to purchase prescription drugs without an actual prescription. You should not trust these sites as they are less likely to be regulated. There have been reports of faulty medications purchased over the internet in the past. The best thing you can do is just ask your doctor if there is a list of on-line mail based pharmacies that he or she trusts. Your doctor may even have an easy mechanism for your prescriptions to be automatically sent there so that you don't have to do anything but wait for your medications to come in the mail. This can be done by your primary care physician (family doctor or internal medicine doctor) or whoever is routinely writing your prescriptions. I hope this answer is helpful.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Robert Baratz
    Dr. Robert Baratz MD, DDS
    759 Granite St.
    Braintree, MA 02184
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723