ZocdocAnswersDo I have to go to the eye doctor if I have perfect vision?

Question

Do I have to go to the eye doctor if I have perfect vision?

Never had any trouble seeing or problems with my vision, so I don?t go to the eye doctor. Should I? Are there things that eye doctors check other than how well you can see?

Answer

The question depends in part on your age and whether you have any other medical problems. Most young adults with no vision problems and no medical problems or any visual symptoms probably do not have to see their eye doctor very frequently. However, as you age, it is important to start having regular eye checkups. There are several reasons for this. First, as you age your vision may start to deteriorate without you noticing right away - your doctor might be able to pick this up before you would and recommend corrective eye wear if necessary. Secondly, as you age you start to be at risk for eye diseases, such as glaucoma (which is a build up of pressure inside the eye). Therefore, it becomes important to have regular eye exams in order to screen for these diseases; importantly, most of the time these disease can be picked up with screening tests by your doctor long before you would notice any symptoms. Finally, as you age you tend to begin to develop medical problems, like high blood pressure or diabetes. These medical problems can have a negative effect on the health of the eyes, and it is important to look out for this. Please talk to your eye doctor for specific information about how frequently you should have an eye exam!