ZocdocAnswersIs bad posture really bad for your back?

Question

Is bad posture really bad for your back?

My mother always said don?t slouch because bad posture will hurt your back. I kind of hunch over a lot when I?m sitting at work and now my back hurts. Is this from my posture? Can it really cause back problems?

Answer

Slouching while you are working, especially at a computer or other desk job, can definitely contribute to back pain. This is because you are putting undo strain on the spinal column and on the muscles that support it by not sitting straight while working. You may want to consider using an ergonomic desk and chair at work to encourage you to sit straighter. If the pain is severe or persists despite adjusting your posture and taking basic over the counter anti inflammatory medications, you may want to go see your primary care doctor. They will be able to examine your back and make sure that you do not have a more serious injury. Sometimes, in order to help calm down the inflammation and pain from a back strain it is necessary to use stronger anti inflammatory medications that your doctor can prescribe for you. Your doctor will also be able to recommend some back stretching and back strengthening exercises to you that can help you feel less stiff and prevent injuries in the future. Also, if indicated, they can refer you to a physical therapist who can provide you with additional tools to prevent back injuries. Good luck and I hope you are feeling better soon.