ZocdocAnswersCan you take too much Tylenol in one day?

Question

Can you take too much Tylenol in one day?

I took like 12 Tylenol in one day and got a bad stomach ache. It's jus tnot doing it for my migraines anymore. Can you overdose on Tylenol or take too many in one day and hurt yourself?

Answer

Tylenol (aka acetaminophen) is an analgesic and anti-pyretic medication. Most commonly, patients take it for pain (e.g. headache) and fevers. The usual dose for tylenol is 325mg per tab, pill or capsule. Assuming you have taken 12 that approaches 4000mg for 24 hours which is high. Typically maximum recommended dosage for tylenol and tylenol containing products is up to 3000mg per 24 hours. The biggest worry with Tylenol is that at high doses it can be damaging to your liver. That being said, one day of 12 tylenol tabs should not be too much of an issue. Taking alcohol with tylenol is also not recommended as both are damaging to the liver so the combination may be more dangerous. With regard to the stomach ache, tylenol doesn't usually cause stomach pain. That is usually reported with Aspirin and NSAIDs (aka Motrin, Ibuprofen, Advil, Alleve, etc), because these medications can cause stomach ulcers which can cause abdominal pain. Tylenol is not typically associated with this side effect. It sounds like your migraines are not being managed appropriately by Tylenol. I would recommend that you see your doctor about starting on a specific Migraine medication like the Sumatriptan class of medications (e.g. Imitrex). As for tylenol, I would recommend keeping your daily intake below 3000mg, and even with that dose, if you take 3000mg every day, that may wear on your liver over time.