ZocdocAnswersIs there a medical condition that makes you sweat a lot?

Question

Is there a medical condition that makes you sweat a lot?

I feel like I sweat more than normal people. Even just sitting around will make me sweat sometimes. Is this a medical problem? Like could something be wrong with my glands or hormones?

Answer

Most of the time excessive sweating is just a personal variant - meaning that some people tend to sweat more than others, and that this is usually just determined by your personal genetics. However, there are medical conditions that can cause excessive sweating. In particular, if you have just recently begun to sweat excessively (rather than having this problem your whole life) then this raises the chances that this is due to a medical problem, and you should go see your primary care doctor for advice. Some of the medical conditions that are associated with excessive sweating include over activity of the thyroid gland and menopause. Your doctor can determine whether you are suffering from these conditions based on asking a few questions and performing a physical examination and some basic laboratory tests. Even if your excess sweating is not due to another problem, if you find that it is a problem for your, for example if it causes awkwardness in social situations, then you should talk to your primary care doctor or a dermatologist. There are medications that can be used to 'dry out' the problem areas of the skin (such as the armpits), preventing them from sweating so much. Again, please discuss further with your doctor!