Why do my ears ring all of the time?

During the last 4 days, my ears have been ringing nearly all of the time. Sometimes its better and sometimes its worse, but its always there. My ears don?t hurt. What might be making this happen?
Sorry to hear that you are experiencing this! Have you recently been exposed to any loud noises (music, construction equipment, etc)? If so the ringing in your ears may be due to this and it should improve over time as your ears recover. If not related to trauma from loud noises, then it is likely that you are experiencing an acute inflammation of the inner ear, given how suddenly these symptoms have come on. Labrynthitis or vestibulitis are forms of inner ear inflammation that are often associated with common viral infections. In addition to ringing in the ears, there may be dizziness. Meniere's disease is another cause of inner ear inflammation that has acute attacks associated with ringing in the ears and hearing loss. If these symptoms are not better in the next few days, or if you have other associated symptoms, such as dizziness or trouble with balance, I recommend that you get in to see your primary care doctor. They will be able to confirm the diagnosis and can also prescribe some medications to help control the worst of the symptoms. These conditions should all improve with time, although some cases do require referral to an ENT specialist for further management.

Nearby Ear, Nose & Throat Doctors

• Dr. Ed Shin
    Dr. Ed Shin MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    310 East 14th Street
    New York, NY 10003
  • Dr. Daniel Jethanamest
    Dr. Daniel Jethanamest MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    550 First Avenue
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Alyssa Hackett
    Dr. Alyssa Hackett MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    310 East 14th Street
    New York, NY 10003