ZocdocAnswersWhat is making my penis sore?

Question

What is making my penis sore?

Out of nowhere my penis is sore. I am sexually active and masturbate and now when I have an erection my penis is very sore. The skin looks fine though. Why is my penis muscle sore?

Answer

The most common cause of soreness in the penis with erection is simply a mild overuse injury, either from frequent masturbation or from recent vigorous sexual activity. If this applies to you, then I would recommend giving yourself a break from sexual activity and from masturbation to see if the discomfort improves. If things are not getting better after a few days, then you may want to seek further advice from your primary care doctor. Although it doesn't sound like this is what is going on, I think it is important to rule out sexually transmitted infections, such as chlamydia or gonorrhea. Sexually transmitted infections often cause pain with urination and they may also cause the discharge of material from the tip of the penis or pain in the penis itself. Your doctor will be able to rule out sexually transmitted infections with a physical examination and some simple laboratory tests. Importantly, if you are at all concerned that you might have a sexually transmitted infection, you should definitely refrain from sexual activity until you have been seen by your doctor to avoid potentially infecting any of your sexual partners. Good luck, and I hope you are feeling better soon!