ZocdocAnswersWhat could be making my testicles sore?

Question

What could be making my testicles sore?

I have soreness in both of my testicles. They are normal size and my STD tests have been normal too. What could cause sore testicles? Is it cancer even if they are still the same size?

Answer

I am glad to hear that your tests for sexually transmitted infections are normal, as that would have been one of the first things I would have wanted to rule out. It is also unlikely that this represents testicular cancer, especially if you do not feel any mass or hard spot in either of the testicles on careful examination. Your doctor will also be able to confirm on examination that there is no evidence of a tumor in either of the testicles. Ruling out sexually transmitted infections, another very common cause of mild testicular soreness is recent vigorous sexual activity (or recent sexual abstinence, as well). If this describes your situation, then you probably don't need to do any more worrying about potential serious problems, although of course you should follow up with your doctor if the symptoms don't improve. Other causes of soreness in the testicles might be an evolving hernia, which might not yet be noticeable to you as a bulge in the groin or scrotum, but which your doctor should be able to rule out on exam. Finally, if you have any sudden, severe testicular pain, this could be a sign of a more serious problem, such as testicular torsion, and you should be seen immediately.