ZocdocAnswersIs it okay to have sex if I have a bladder infection?

Question

Is it okay to have sex if I have a bladder infection?

My boyfriend doesn?t want to have sex with me because I have a bladder infection that isn?t gone yet. Is it safe to have sex with him or could I pass it to him when we have sex?

Answer

A bladder infection cannot be passed to your boyfriend while having sex. Therefore, if you wish to have sex, there will be no immediate danger of infection to your boyfriend. However, I would recommend against having sex until all the symptoms of your bladder infection are completely resolved. This is more out of concern for your own comfort than anything. Having sex will put a lot of pressure on the bladder, which could make the pain and cramping worse. This will not ultimately impact the speed of your recovery, but it could be very uncomfortable if you go ahead with sex before your body is totally healed! Furthermore, keep in mind that sexual intercourse is one of the most common causes of bladder infections in women. In the future, you will definitely want to stay very well hydrated to wash out the bladder and you should make a point to go urinate immediately after having sexual intercourse in order to keep the urethra clean. If you have more questions about this issue, or if the bladder infection does not clear up completely, then you should talk to your primary care doctor, who will be happy to answer any concerns you may have.