What causes prostatitis?

I?m only 27 years old but my urologist told me I might have chronic prostatitis. What causes this? Will I have it for the rest of my life?
Prostatitis is a condition in which the prostate gland becomes inflamed. In the vast majority of cases, prostatitis is caused by an infection of the prostate gland that occur because of an infection in the bladder or urethra. Many cases of acute prostatitis are caused by sexually transmitted infections. Chronic prostatitis can be cause by either an infection that has not yet cleared, or a non-infectious cause of inflammation that is poorly understood. Before you can receive non-infectious diagnosis, you must be tried on multiple antibiotics in attempts to clear an infection. This is because if treated correctly you can clear a chronic bacterial prostatitis and get better. You should be tested for a virus called CMV and even the HIV virus. If no infectious process is found, and you don't get better with treatment, then the treatment for chronic non-infectious prostatitis is much more challenging. This will include you seeing not just a urologist but also other physicians that specialize in treating these chronic problems. The first physician you should see if your urologist. Have him or her explain to you how your condition is going to be treated to see if it can be cured before it becomes a chronic issue. If no options exist, and chronic non-infectious prostatitis is the only possibility, then you should ask about the long term plan for treatment, as there is no cure.

Nearby Urologists

Other Urologists