Could the bump on my head be a cyst?

Found this weird little bump on the middle of my head that is like the size of a dime. I didn?t bump my head on anything. Could it be a cyst? Can you get a cyst on your scalp like this?
Cysts can occur anywhere under the skin, including on the scalp. Characteristics of a cyst include that they tend to be soft and "squishy" and easily move around under the skin. If the lump that you have feels like this, then it could certainly be a cyst or even a lipoma, which is a related collection of fatty tissue under the skin. Your primary care doctor will be able to confirm that this is a cyst and, if it is, recommend treatment. Most cysts are benign and they generally do not need to be treated; however, if the area grows or becomes uncomfortable or unsightly, it is possible to have them removed surgically in a simple office procedure. If, on the other hand, the spot on your head seems more superficial or plaque-like, sitting on top of the skin, then it is more likely to be an inflammatory spot. There are several conditions that can cause inflammatory, scaling spots on the scalp, including eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, and psoriasis. Again, your doctor will be able to determine if you have one of these conditions and, if so, will be able to recommend which is the appropriate treatment to clear things up.

• Dr. Vaughn Dobalian
    Dr. Vaughn Dobalian MD
    340 16th Avenue North
    Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250
  • Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Richard Ashby
    Dr. Richard Ashby MD
    8330 Richmond Highway
    Alexandria, VA 22309