search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is it okay to pop a blister that formed after a burn?"

ZocdocAnswersIs it okay to pop a blister that formed after a burn?

Question

I burned my hand pretty bad on the oven the other day and now I have a huge blister on my thumb! is it okay to pop it? Will it mess up the healing process if I do?

Answer

I would avoid popping the blister as long as possible. Of course, it will eventually pop on its own anyway but, while it is intact, it is providing a layer of protection to the damage skin underneath and it is preventing contamination of the burn with bacteria. When the blister does pop, leave the loose skin in place and cover the area with antimicrobial cream and a bandage to keep it protected from infection. Also you may want to go see your primary care doctor about this burn. Sometimes burns on the hands can be very severe. They tend to be disabling because you need to use your hands, obviously, and this can lead to delayed healing. Also the risk for scarring should be assessed, because scar formation in the hand and fingers can be a big problem down the road, as it makes parts of the hand difficult to use. Your primary care doctor can assess the severity of the burn and determine whether additional treatment is needed. In the meantime, protect the burn with antimicrobial ointment and take anti inflammatory medications to help reduce the pain and swelling.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances