ZocdocAnswersDoes humidity cause skin problems?

Question

Does humidity cause skin problems?

I had a lot of different skin problems this summer. I think it was because of the humidity. Kept breaking out with pimples and redness and even dry skin. Am I right that humidity could have caused this and it will go away during the winter and fall?

Answer

If you are continuing to have skin problems, it would be advisable to go see your primary care doctor, because they will be able to diagnose which skin condition you have and make recommendations about how to prevent and treat it. Red and dry skin, that comes and goes in patches, is most likely to be eczema, which is a condition in which the skin is sensitive to various environmental exposures, and tends to dry out. It is typically treated by aggressive skin moisturizing and the application of topical steroid creams. Eczema can occur in the summer or winter, but is actually usually worse in the winter because the dry cold air makes the skin dryness worse. Another cause of skin rash, which is more common in hot humid months, is heat rash, which is caused when small sweat glands in the skin become plugged from excessive sweating. Usually this clears up with just good skin hygiene and scrubbing the skin with an antibacterial soap. Your doctor will be able to take a look at these areas of rash and determine whether it is eczema or heat rash - or something else entirely. Based on what they see, they will be able to recommend the appropriate treatment.