How would I know if I have tendonitis?

I?m 18 years old and play tennis for my high school team. My wrist is really aching and my coach said I should go to the doctor because I might have tendonitis. What is this? How can I be sure I have it if I don?t want to go to the doc?
Tendonitis is a common problem we see in young athletes that use one joint over and over again. common sports that cause this include tennis, baseball, and sometimes basketball. Tendonitis is an inflammation of the tendon area caused (most of the time) by overuse of the muscle associated with the tendon. Most physicians prescribe rest, ice, and sometimes anti-inflammatory medications to help with the pain and discomfort associated with tendonitis. While tendonitis is a relatively benign condition that can be taken care of easily in the hands of an experienced physician, there are other problems that could be causing your wrist pain which should be investigated. If you fell on the your hand at some point recently, you may have suffered from a small fracture that could be causing your pain. If your doctor were concerned about this, then you may end up getting an x-ray. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. In this case it could be your family doctor or pediatrician depending on how old you are. After a thorough physical examination of your wrist, your doctor will be able to tell what is causing your pain. Your doctor may end up recommending a brace for your wrist to prevent overuse of the tendon until it heals completely.

• Dr. James Morgan
    Dr. James Morgan MD
    330 Northgate Drive
    Manteca, CA 95336
  • Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Richard Ashby
    Dr. Richard Ashby MD
    8330 Richmond Highway
    Alexandria, VA 22309