ZocdocAnswersCan low blood sugar give you headaches?

Question

Can low blood sugar give you headaches?

I?ve been on a crash diet. Not eating very often. All of the sudden I get bad headaches. Is this from not eating/low blood sugar? Is my diet making my head hurt? Should I quit this diet?

Answer

Certainly I think that your dieting could be associated with your headaches. Any chance in your lifestyle or diet could have an effect on whether or not you develop these. However, I'm not so sure that your headaches are absolutely related to low blood sugar. The body is very good at keeping blood sugar in the normal range even if you are not consuming that much food. More likely your headaches are migraine or tension type headaches that are triggered by the stress of your diet. I should mention (since it's in your question) that the way you are dieting is not advisable. Any time you go on a diet that causes rapid weight loss, you are more likely to do more harm than good. It is almost unheard of that someone loses weight on a crash diet then manages to keep it off in the long run. Your better bet is to develop a long term plan of diet changes that include more fruits and vegetables, and exercise. For your headaches and your diet, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. After discussing each issue, your doctor will be able to tell what type of headache you have, and what the best mode of treatment is. Good luck.