search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is there any way to make a black eye heal quickly?"

ZocdocAnswersIs there any way to make a black eye heal quickly?

Question

Got punched in the face because of some stupid stuff. I want my black eye to go away fast because its embarrassing. How can I do this? Is there any way to make bruises go away quickly?

Answer

A black eye is just a bruise in the tissue around and under they eye. This means, unfortunately, that it heals just like any bruise - it requires time and patients, usually days to weeks, to clear up. There is very little that you can do to make the bruise go away more quickly. If there is significant swelling around the eye, what you can do is use warm compresses to improve circulation and help decrease the swelling more quickly. Similarly, taking an over the counter anti inflammatory medication like ibuprofen or naproxen may help to reduce the puffiness more rapidly. Unfortunately, these approaches will do nothing to help the color of the bruise, which will just have to go away on its own. Some people feel that they can make the bruising go away more quickly if they elevate their heads while they sleep, but there is no evidence that this actually works. In short, what most people do is to resort to covering up the bruising with makeup and just waiting for it to heal up on its own. For more information about this issue, please ask your primary care doctor! Good luck!

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.