What should I do if my ear drops aren?t helping?

I had a clogged right ear and my doctor gave me ear drops. They don?t seem to be helping because my hearing is still ?cloudy? on the right side. What should I do next?
Ear drops are commonly used for two conditions which may lead to 'cloudy' hearing. The first is an excess buildup of wax in the ear canal. For reasons that are primarily determined by genetics, some people have over active wax glands in their ears and the excess production of wax can sometimes completely occlude the ear canal. If your doctor prescribed wax softening drops for your ears, and if these are not working for you, then you will probably need to have your ear manually cleaned out by your doctor. This is a simple office procedure in which the wax is removed either by irrigation with warm water and hydrogen peroxide or with a special ear cleaning tool. The second common use for ear drops is in the treatment of otitis externa, which is an infection of the outer ear canal. If your doctor prescribed drops for an infection, and if you still have significant blockage, pain, or drainage, you should go back to be reevaluated. Sometimes, additional treatment is needed, including more vigorous cleaning, ear wicks, and stronger antibiotics. Start by setting up a visit with your doctor, who will be able to reevaluate where things stand and readjust the treatment regimen!

• Dr. John Austin
    Dr. John Austin MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    7200 Wyoming Springs Drive
    Round Rock, TX 78681
  • Dr. Haitham Masri
    Dr. Haitham Masri MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    13530 Michigan Ave
    Dearborn, MI 48126
  • Dr. Bradley Johnson
    Dr. Bradley Johnson DO
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    3366 Oakdale Ave N
    Robbinsdale, MN 55422