ZocdocAnswersDo I have restless leg syndrome?

Question

Do I have restless leg syndrome?

My legs always feel kind of funny. Like I can?t sit down without them feeling like they are going to fall asleep. Is this restless leg syndrome? What causes that?

Answer

Restless leg syndrome is a considered a neurological disorder which is characterized by the unpleasant feeling of needing to move a limb while someone is trying to relax or go to sleep. Because it appears most often when someone is lying down and trying to go to sleep, it is (in some ways) considered a sleep disorder. People that suffer from restless leg syndrome often complain of fatigue from lack of sleep because they can't get comfortable at night. Your symptoms of your leg feeling like it is falling asleep when you sit down does not sound exactly like restless leg syndrome. If you don't experience the symptoms at night when you are trying to fall asleep, then I would say that you probably don't have it. This does not mean that you should not see a doctor. It is not normal for a limb to fee like its going to fall asleep every time you sit down. This may imply that you have a problem with your circulation to that leg. You can start by scheduling an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can listen to your symptoms and perform a comprehensive physical exam. By taking the blood pressure in you ankles, your doctor can determine if anything concerning is going on with your circulation.