Should I go to the doctor if I think I was electrocuted?
Was playing my guitar in the cover band that I play in and I think the building had a power surge or something. I felt a shock all the way through my body and my muscles were kind of sore the next day. Should I see a doctor if the pain has gone away? Could the electrocution screw up my nerves or my brain?
Electrocution can be dangerous, mostly because the surge of power through the body can interfere with the electrical rhythm of the heart. In some cases this can lead to the heart stopping, or cardiac arrest, which can cause death. Of course, this is something that happens right away after the electrocution, so this far out from the accident, there is no real risk of this. In the future you should make sure that all of your sound equipment is in good working order and properly grounded in order to prevent shocks or more serious accidents. Sometimes, electrocution can also cause injury and damage to the muscles. When this is severe, it can lead to significant enough breakdown of muscle cells that the muscle proteins can concentrate in the kidneys and causes kidney damage. Although it sounds like you don't have a much muscle stiffness or soreness, I would still definitely go to see your primary care doctor. They will be able to perform a thorough exam and make sure that there is no lasting damage. They may want to check some basic blood tests to define the extent of muscle damage and to make sure that the kidneys are ok. Please speak with your doctor.
This answer is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice.
If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.
Search for an answer:
Need More Info?