ZocdocAnswersHow can I have my uterus examined?

Question

How can I have my uterus examined?

My mother had to have her uterus removed about a year after I was born. Does this mean that I should have mine checked out? I?d like to have children and I don?t want something to go wrong before I do. How can I have my uterus examined?

Answer

If you are over the age of 21, you should have a pelvic exam every year or every two years as a part of your general female health screening. These exams can be done by a primary care physician or an OBGYN. At these exams, a doctor will perform a pap smear and examine your vagina and try to feel your uterus through the bimanual exam. If something is felt to be abnormal, then you may get a pelvic ultrasound. If you are having abnormal periods in any way, then your doctor may run some other tests for your uterus. Otherwise, there is not much that we recommend women routinely do. The other factor that should be considered is why your mother had her uterus removed. Many women have this done for benign conditions such as endometriosis, uterine fibroids, and adenomyosis. If your mother developed a cancer at a young age that resulted in her uterus being removed, then you may be someone that should have some earlier screening. In the vast majority of cases, the fact that your mother had her uterus removed plays no role in how your health is followed. For a complete evaluation of this problem, and to answer the questions you have regarding your uterine health, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN today.