Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What should I do about my foot and leg problems?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do about my foot and leg problems?


Im having tingling in my left foot and my second toe goes numg and causes pain when i wear shoes. I notice it more when im on my feet for long periods of time. fitted shoes can be very uncomfortable.


First of all, when ever dealing with any pain in the feet or legs, it is important to make sure that this is not due to a nerve problem higher up in the back, as the treatments for this are quite different than if the problem is just in the feet. If you have a history of back injury, if you have pain in your low back, or if you have shooting pains or numbness that runs from your hips down your leg, then these are all signs of 'sciatica' or a nerve problem in the back, and you should talk to your doctor about how to treat this. Similarly, if you have a history of any serious medical problems, especially diabetes, it would be important to make sure that the numbness in your feet is not due to this problem, something your doctor can also help with. On the other hand, if the pain is just in your feet and only occurs when you wear tight shoes, then the solution is simply to stop wearing the kinds of shoes that make your feet hurt and wear more comfortable, more supportive shoes. If you have trouble finding these kinds of shoes, a podiatrist can help you.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.