ZocdocAnswersWhy is the skin on my torso sensitive?

Question

Why is the skin on my torso sensitive?

I'm a 23 year old female and all of the sudden the skin on my torso is sensitive to the touch. Like my skin on my breasts, ribs, stomach, everything. Do I have a skin condition or is something wrong with my nerves maybe?

Answer

First of all, I would wonder if you notice any change in the areas of skin that are sensitive. For example, if there is any redness or rash of the skin, that could be a clue as to why the skin is bothering you. It is common to have an allergic reaction or sensitivity reaction in the skin, often provoked by a new soap, laundry detergent, or other new environmental exposure. Similarly, if you notice that the skin appears dried out or itchy, this could be eczema, a condition in which the skin becomes excessively dry. You may want to try moisturizing the skin with a good greasy lotion or cream and see if that makes a difference. If there is any area of red rash, you could also try applying some over the counter anti inflammatory or anti itch cream. Another problem that can cause sensitivity in the absence of any rash or redness is shingles, a reactivation of chicken pox virus. Although this would be uncommon in someone your age, it is technically possible, and something your doctor can check out for you. Please see your doctor to help you figure out what is going on.