ZocdocAnswersHow can I prevent blurry vision from staring at a computer all day?

Question

How can I prevent blurry vision from staring at a computer all day?

I work 8 hours a day at a computer and sometimes my vision gets really blurry. Theres nothing I can do because I have to be at the computer. Any way to make my eyes not go fuzzy? Should I sit differently or something?

Answer

It sounds like you are suffering from 'computer vision syndrome' which is a very common problem in people who work at a computer all day long. Computer vision syndrome is simply a problem of eye fatigue, and it doesn't result in permanent damage to your eyes. The first thing I would do is go to see an eye doctor and have a complete eye checkup. The most common factor that predisposes to computer vision syndrome is actually having an small undiagnosed vision problem, such as a small degree of nearsightedness. Even very small vision defects can put you at much greater risk of eye strain when using a computer. Therefore, the first step is to see if you need corrective eyewear, either glasses or contacts. If you do, then using the vision correction should mostly reduce the fatigue you are having while working on the computer. It is also important to pay attention to the work environment. In particular good working posture and reducing glare of the computer screen (from a window or over head lights) can help reduce eye strain significantly. Start by setting up a visit with your eye doctor today, and I hope you are feeling better soon!