search

location

insurance

close

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What does it mean if my spine hurts when I lie down?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat does it mean if my spine hurts when I lie down?

Question

When I have to lay down to do certain exercises or when I lay down to go to bed at night, my spin hurts from the top to the bottom. What might be causing this? Do I have a curved spine like with scoliosis and I don't know it?

Answer

I would recommend that you go to see your doctor about this problem, especially if it has been going on for a long time. They will be able to examine your back and help determine if there is something that needs to be done. In particular, it is important to figure out where exactly the pain is coming from. Most people who have spine pain actually end up having pain originating from tense and stressed muscles running in parallel columns up and down each side of the spine. This type of pain is called paraspinal muscle spasm and it can be fixed with anti inflammatory medications as well as by paying attention to good posture, by wearing good shoes, and by performing some back stretching and strengthening exercises that your doctor can show to you. Sometimes, physical therapy can also be helpful, and your doctor can make a referral for you if you decide together that that would be helpful. Other causes of back or spine pain include a pinched nerve, which your doctor can also look for. Scoliosis, which is an abnormal curvature in the spine is much less common, but will also be apparent to your doctor when they examine your back.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.