ZocdocAnswersWhy is the skin under my armpits irritated?

Question

Why is the skin under my armpits irritated?

The skin under both of my arms is irritated and itchy. When I put my deodorant on the skin stings and hurts. Could my deodorant be causing the skin problems? What's going on?

Answer

There are a few different possibilities here. The first is that you are allergic or sensitive to the type of deodorant that you are using. This would be especially the case if this is a new problem and if you recently changed brands of deodorant. You may want to experiment by switching brands or, better yet, not wearing any deodorant at all for a while and seeing what happens. Using a soothing anti itch or anti inflammatory cream, such as hydrocortisone, which you can get over the counter at your local pharmacy, may also be of some help to you. Another common problem is heat rash, caused by plugging of glands in the skin from excessive sweating and friction. This can usually be cleared up with cold compresses to the affected area, as well as good skin hygiene. If you shave the skin in your armpits, I would definitely stop doing that until all of the symptoms clear up, as shaving is a major source of mechanical irritation to the skin and could be contributing to the overall problem. If these suggestions don't work, then you should make an appointment to go see your primary care doctor who can help you figure out what is going on.