ZocdocAnswersDo I have a stye if my eyelid is swollen and puffy?

Question

Do I have a stye if my eyelid is swollen and puffy?

There is a puffy part of my eyelid on the right side that is also kind of swollen. Is this a stye? How is a stye treated and how did I even get this thing??

Answer

This definitely could be a stye. A stye is essentially just a blocked gland in the eyelid. It occurs when the duct of the gland becomes clogged with dead skin and other debris and the symptoms are an isolated red, painful lump on the eyelid (either upper or lower). Generally speaking, styes get better on their own and do not require any special treatment. Taking anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen for the pain and discomfort can be helpful. It can also be helpful to use frequent warm compresses to the affected eyelid, as this may help to open up the blocked gland more quickly. Very rarely, styes can become seriously infected and require antibiotics or drainage. If you have rapidly spreading redness and warm of the eyelid or any fever at all, these may be signs of a worse infection, and you should seek medical help immediately. Also, if the symptoms do not begin to resolve over a few days with anti inflammatory medications and compresses, you will want to see your primary care doctor. They will be able to confirm the diagnosis of a stye and consider alternatives, such as blepharitis (infection of the eyelids themselves) and help you decide whether more aggressive treatment is needed.