Why does it feel like there are tiny cuts inside my nose?

I have a weird feeling like there are tiny cuts inside my nose. Like if some water gets in there when I'm taking a shower it stings really bad. Does this mean that my nose is just dried out or is something wrong with my skin?
If these symptoms continue, or if they worsen or if you experience nose bleeding, you may want to go see your primary care doctor to help you figure out what is going on. One of the most common causes of these kinds of symptoms is irritation of the nasal lining, usually from picking the nose. However, dry air can also cause the nasal lining to become dry and cracked, causing the same symptoms. These two problems usually respond to avoiding manipulating the nose with your fingers or other objects and using an air humidifier while you sleep or a nasal saline spray. Another common problem which can cause nasal irritation are nose allergies, or allergic rhinitis. If you have significant nasal congestion or sneezing or cough, this is probably what is going on. There are excellent medications for allergic rhinitis, including antihistamines and nasal steroid sprays. Your doctor can confirm a diagnosis of allergic rhinitis and make suggestions about which medications to use if this is what is going on. I suggest that you make an appointment with your primary care doctor. They will examine your nose and help you decide what your next steps in terms of treatment should be.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Nancy Barbarito
    Dr. Nancy Barbarito MD
    75 Baylor Dr
    Bluffton, SC 29910
  • Dr. Richard Harris
    Dr. Richard Harris MD
    381 Rampart Range Rd
    Woodland Park, CO 80863