ZocdocAnswersCould my fatigue be due to anemia?

Question

Could my fatigue be due to anemia?

Feeling run down all the time over the last 6 months. Just can't seem to get energetic and feel fatigued all the time. Could I be anemic? Is there a simple test to tell whether or not I am anemic?

Answer

Sorry to hear that you are feeling so bad! I highly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this problem. Any case of fatigue that has been going on for 6 months should be evaluated by a doctor because there are several potential causes. Anemia is definitely a possibility, and your doctor will be able to perform a simple blood test to rule it out. If you turn out to be anemic it will be important to figure out why, and this may require additional testing. Once the cause of anemia is identified, your doctor will be able to recommend the necessary treatment. Another possibility is a problem with the thyroid gland. When the thyroid gland is under active (hypothyroidism) this produces fatigue, weight gain, changes in the hair and skin, and other symptoms. Thyroid problems can also be diagnosed with simple blood tests and can be easily treated with medication if identified. Finally, depression is another major cause of fatigue. Other symptoms of depression include loss of appetite, loss of interest in sexual activity and social interaction, feelings of sadness, and the like. Your doctor will be able to screen your for depression and determine if you need treatment.