ZocdocAnswersCould something in my apartment be causing me to wake up with headaches?

Question

Could something in my apartment be causing me to wake up with headaches?

Is something in the air making my head hurt? I wake up with headaches for no reason. I don't think anything bad is in my apartment. The only thing I can think of is my air conditioner but I just bought it this year. What else could make me wake up with headaches?

Answer

There are many types of headaches. To someone who suffers from it, a headache is just a symptom that could represent a disorder of some kind. Figuring out what hurts, where, and when is important. It is also important to know whether your headache feels like muscle aches that come from the shoulders or neck up to the top of the head and eyebrows or around the temple area, versus a throbbing, pressure-like pain over the frontal area of your head and face. Is your headache associated with a noise, or light sensitivity such as flashing lights? Does your headache ever wake you up in the middle of the night? Does it get worse as the day goes on? Is there anything that makes it better or worse? All of these qualities can signify a specific type of headache which would require a different approach to manage. One thing that you may want to review is your body hydration status. Being dehydrated can itself cause a headache easily. Of course, if you are a hardcore caffeine drinker and don't get your early morning you could be getting withdrawal headaches. Allergens such as mold can also cause problems. An AC can sometimes harbor molds because of the constant moisture that it collects. You may want to get a good dust/mites filter for your bedroom and definitely keep all hairy pets out of the bedroom. In any case, the best place to start is with your primary care physician, who can evaluate you and help you develop a plan. Please schedule an appointment soon. Good luck!