ZocdocAnswersShould I be worried about my dry mouth?

Question

Should I be worried about my dry mouth?

Mouth feels dry all the time. No matter how much water I drink it is still dry. Why? Do I have a throat problem or something?

Answer

Having a dry mouth can be a very uncomfortable sensation. There can be a variety of reasons for this problem, assuming that your are not just dehydrated. The first thing I ask about when evaluating a new patient with dry mouth are the medications that the patient is taking. There are a many medications that can cause dry mouth. Some of the most common ones are some antidepressant medications that are taken by many people. If you are on any medications, you should ask your doctor if they could be contributing to your symptoms. Another possible (and more rare) cause of dry mouth is a condition called Sjogren's syndrome. This is a disease where the body's immune system attacks the glands in the mouth that are responsible for making saliva. People with this disease also complain of very dry eyes as well. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. Your doctor will take a look at your mouth and see if there is anything that is obviously wrong. Your doctor can review any medications you are taking to see if there are any possible culprits, finally, if your doctor thinks that another syndrome such as Sjogren's is involved, blood tests will be able to tell for sure.