ZocdocAnswersIs there any way to get rid of keloids safely?

Question

Is there any way to get rid of keloids safely?

Had surgery on my wrist and now it seems I have keloids around the scar. Is there any way to make them go away safely? Will they just go away on their own or can I do something to speed up the process?

Answer

A keloid is a scar that grows too much scar tissue. It "overheals," if you will. These can be tough to treat. The reason they are tough to treat is that the people that get keloids for whatever reason tend to produce more scar tissue. Thus, treating them with any type of manipulation or surgical treatment always runs the risk of just creating more scar. Keloids don't tend to go away on their own, though sometimes they will fade over time. Usually what physicians will do is start off by injecting the keloid with a steroid solution. This can slow down the scar formation process and help to reverse some of the tissue production. These infections need to occur on multiple different occasions and work in some people, but not in others. Another option is to have the scar removed surgically creating a new wound to heal. This works, but only if medications are given to slow down the scar formation process during the new healing time. The best physician for you to see about this is a dermatologist. The dermatologist can inject your keloid with a steroid treatment to try and shrink the scar. If this doesn't work, then a surgical procedure can be attempted.