Why is my mole burning?

There is a mole on my neck that has always been there. Lately though, it has become sensitive and has kind of a burning sensation. Is this dangerous? Can I mole become infected?
Moles that have always been there, and have really never changed in size, color or shape are unlikely to be dangerous to your health. Moles that are dangerous don't tend to present in this way (i.e. with a burning sensation). This does not mean that these benign moles cannot become irritated or infected if they are rubbed the wrong way. Moles on the back of the neck are particularly sensitive to irritation because they are rubbed by shirt collars and necklaces. If a mole is rubbed for too long in the wrong way, then it can bleed or begin hurting. It can even become infected if the skin layer around the mole is broken. These types of moles should be removed if they are causing you adverse symptoms. To have this mole removed, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a dermatologist. The dermatologist will be able to remove the mole right there in the office. A stitch or two may be needed after the procedure to allow the site to heal. Most dermatologists will send the mole off to be viewed by a pathologist just to make sure that it is not a dangerous mole that would need more attention. Good luck.