Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What are these skin-colored bumps on my arms and legs?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat are these skin-colored bumps on my arms and legs?


I have small, flesh colored bumps on the under side of my forearms and my legs. Is this something serious? Why would the bumps be skin colored? I don't know what to do because they don't itch or hurt like a skin problem usually does.


I am not sure exactly what is going on here, and you will need to see your primary care doctor or a dermatologist to confirm a diagnosis, because this is of some concern. If the bumps that you are talking about are soft, mobile, narrow projections that stick up from the skin, the most likely diagnosis would be skin tags. These are benign growths of the skin that tend to occur in areas of friction (such as under the arms). There may be a genetic predisposition to develop skin tags, but they do not need to be treated unless they become uncomfortable or otherwise a nuisance, in which case your primary care doctor should be able to remove them in the office. Another potential cause would be a viral infection of the skin. There are two common conditions caused by viral infections of the skin, warts and molluscum contagiosum. Both of the conditions are spread by scratching or touching the spots, so it is important to have your doctor confirm the diagnosis. If these do turn out to be either warts or molluscum, it is possible to freeze them or otherwise intervene so that they go away more quickly. Again, please discuss with your doctor!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.