ZocdocAnswersIs there a medical condition associated with clammy hands?

Question

Is there a medical condition associated with clammy hands?

My hands are always clammy and moist. Is there a medical condition associated with this or do some people just have clammy hands. I'm 22 and this has always kind of been an issue with me.

Answer

Hyperhidrosis is a medical condition in which a person sweats excessively and unpredictably. Although sweating helps your body stay cool and is perfectly natural in most cases, such as when doing strenuous exercise or being in warm temperatures. However, when excessive sweating occurs without any triggers, such uncontrollable sweating may be due to overactive sweat glands in response to an unknown cause in the majority of hyperhidrosis cases. It seems to run in family. On the other hand, excessive sweating can also occur as a result of another underlying medical condition. Your experience with the clammy hands is called focal hyperhidrosis. In focal hyperhidrosis there are specific areas with excessive sweating. Most commonly, focal hyperhidrosis occurs on the palms of the hands where there is a high concentration of eccrine (sweat) glands which are responsible for such excessive perspiration. In such case, this condition is palmar hyperhidrosis. Hyperhidrosis can also be classified as either primary or secondary. Primary hyperhidrosis is found to start during adolescence or even before and seems to be inherited while secondary hyperhidrosis can start at any point in life. Secondary hyperhidrosis may be due to a disorder of thyroid or pituitary gland, diabetes mellitus, tumors, gout, and certain drugs, etc. I would recommend that you have an in-person evaluation by a primary care physician to determine the actual cause of your palmar hyperhidrosis so that you can be treated appropriately.