Is it safe to keep your pubic region shaved at all times?

I'm a 24 year old female and have been shaving my pubic hair for years. I'm kind of worried about damaging my skin though. Is shaving around the vagina safe for the skin?
Shaving any part of the body with a sharp razor always raises the small possibility that you could cut yourself in that area. Cutting yourself in that area would be painful, and could result in an infection if the wound is not cared for properly. If you have a blood clotting disorder, then bleeding from a cut could be dangerous. Outside of that, there is really not any danger to shaving yourself in that area. Some people that shave in those sensitive areas can develop little shaving bumps that we call folliculitis. This is a type of skin pore infection that can be annoying to look at, and can be painful at times. This would be a non-threatening complication of shaving there, though most people would not find this issue that troubling. I suggest that you bring this issue up with your primary care physician. I realize that this can be a tougher question to bring up with your doctor, but trust me, we are used to these types of questions. Any time you feel like you need to talk about any aspect of your health, you should always feel like it is safe to bring up with your family doctor or other primary care physician.

• Dr. Sydney Mehl
    Dr. Sydney Mehl MD
    530 1st Avenue
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Halina Stec
    Dr. Halina Stec MD
    332 E. 30th Street
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. John Adams
    Dr. John Adams MD
    119 5th Avenue
    New York, NY 10003