ZocdocAnswersCould my muscle soreness be muscular dystrophy?

Question

Could my muscle soreness be muscular dystrophy?

I'm a 30 year old female and I think I might have muscular dystrophy. My muscles all over my body ache from time to time with no apparent reason. My coordination doesn't seem off but I'm scared. How would I know if I had MS?

Answer

First of all, I think it is important to clarify some of the terms you are using, because you actually mention two different diseases in your question, muscular dystrophy and multiple sclerosis (MS). These are very different entities. Muscular dystrophy is an inherited condition in which the muscles slowly degenerate, leading to progressive weakness and disability. Multiple sclerosis is a neurological condition in which various neurological symptoms, such as weakness, tingling, double vision, and poor coordination, evolve over time. Fortunately, muscle soreness is not a major feature of either muscular dystrophy or multiple sclerosis, so I think you do not need to worry about this. However, if the soreness has been going on for some time, you should go see your primary care doctor to get checked out. Although the most common causes of muscle soreness are related to exercise and muscle strain from fatigue or bad posture while working, there are a few medical conditions which need to be ruled out in cases of persistent soreness, including a problem with the thyroid gland and an inflammatory condition involving the muscles. Your doctor will be able to perform a physical examination and also determine whether blood tests should be done to rule out these possibilities.