We have revised our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Please take a look.

Why am I not urinating enough?

I keep having strong urges to use the bathroom, but when I go, barely any urine comes out. What's wrong with me? I'm a 26 year old male and don't have any STD's or anything so I don't know what this could be.
Although it is impossible to establish a diagnosis online without comprehensive medical history, physical exam, and diagnostic tests, from what you have described it may be a urinary tract infection, or UTI. UTI is an infection (usually bacteria) that occurs anywhere along the urinary tract. When these germs enter the urethra and the bladder, it leads to the infection, most commonly in the bladder itself, and can spread to the kidneys. Some of UTI symptoms include a pain or burning with urination, cloudy urine, and especially a strong need to urinate often, even right after the bladder has been emptied. Most of the time, your body can get rid of thes bacteria. However, certain underlying conditions (diabetes, kidney stones, bowel incontinence, an enlarged prostate, narrowed urethra or anything that blocks the flow of urine, or other medical problems). I suggest that you drink plenty of water and especially unsweetened cranberry juice to flush out these bacteria. I would also suggest an in-person visit with a primary care physician to have the severity of your condition evaluated and treated promptly. Antibiotics taken by mouth are usually recommended because there is a risk that infection can spread to the kidneys. Treatment is usually successful. Symptoms of a bladder infection usually disappear within 24-48 hours after treatment begins. If you have a kidney infection, it may take 1 week or longer for your symptoms to go away. Good luck, and please talk to your doctor.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Sylmara Chatman
    Dr. Sylmara Chatman MD
    17603 West 10 Mile Road
    Southfield, MI 48075
  • Dr. Manuel Sanchez
    Dr. Manuel Sanchez MD
    501 N. Ware Road
    McAllen, TX 78501