Could I have a scratch on my eye?

I got hit in the eye with someone's hand and my vision has been a little blurry for two days. Could I have a scratch on my eye? How would I know? I don't go to the eye doctor so I don't know what to do about this.
It sounds like you have a corneal abrasion (or as you describe it a "scratch on the eye"). This is most commonly caused by trauma such as hitting a finger or particulate matter into the eye. Corneal abrasions are diagnosed with a slit lamp exam by an ophthalmologist. Frequently a florescent dye is used to aid in the diagnosis as any irregularity from a corneal abrasion will frequently "light up" with the dye when looked at through the slit lamp and microscope. Most simple corneal abrasions heal on their own without any complications. Common symptoms include tearing of the eyes, irritation, feeling of having something in your eye. You should avoid rubbing your eyes. If your blurry vision continues to bother you or if you develop sensitivity to bright light that does not resolve or worsens, I would advise that you see an ophthalmologist (not an optometrist). An ophthalmologist will be able to diagnose the problem and treat it accordingly. Most of the time no treatment is required if this truly is a simple corneal abrasion, however, sometimes topical antibiotic drops may be used to prevent infection (which in itself is not common with corneal abrasions). In either case, the safest recommendation would be to have an ophthalmologist examine your eye(s) in person.

Other Ophthalmologists