Can you be tested for osteoporosis if you don't have symptoms?

I live with my grandma and she is all I have. I read that older people should be tested for osteoporosis. She says no because there are no symptoms for her. Can you still be tested for osteoporosis if you don't have symptoms? How?
Osteoporosis is a very common condition in elderly people in which which the density of the bones is decreased. This can be a serious problem because it can predispose to bone fractures. Importantly, osteoporosis has no symptoms. If you do not look for osteoporosis, you will not find it until it is too late (when you get a broken bone). It is very important for your grandmother to talk to her doctors">primary care doctor about this issue. Most doctors do recommend that all women over the age of 65 should be screened for osteoporosis, regardless of their other health issues and whether or not they have any symptoms. If there are any other risk factors for osteoporosis, the screening is often done even in women younger than 65. Based on the results of the screening test, your grandmother's doctor will be able to determine if she has osteoporosis. If she does, there are several treatment options, generally medications that slow the decline in bone density that occurs with age. Furthermore, it is often important to make sure that one is eating a diet high in calcium and vitamin D to keep the bones as healthy as possible.

Nearby OB-GYNs