ZocdocAnswersIf I tore a ligament in my elbow will it be weak for the rest of my life?

Question

If I tore a ligament in my elbow will it be weak for the rest of my life?

Had surgery to repair a torn ligament in my elbow around a year ago. Everything feels fine and I'm about to start being in a softball league. I'm just a little worried about my elbow. Will it be weak for the rest of my life because I tore the ligament and had it repaired? Should I take any precautions about throwing or swinging the bat?

Answer

Sorry to hear that you had such a severe elbow injury, but it is encouraging to hear that your are feeling better after your surgery and that you are feeling like you might be ready to resume physical activity and sports! I cannot specifically comment on whether your elbow will remain weak or not, since I don't know the specifics either of what ligament your tore (and how badly) or what kind of surgical repair you had done. It is obviously very important to allow the surgery to heal well, which it sounds like you have, since it was about a year ago. However, in order to return to sports, I think you will need to ask the advice of the orthopedic doctor who performed the surgery for you. They are the only ones who know your case well enough to give you personalized advice. I would set up an appointment with them to discuss return to sports. At this visit, they will be able to examine the elbow to see if there is any residual pain, arthritis, or weakness or instability. Based on these findings, they will make recommendations as to what you can and cannot do with the elbow!