ZocdocAnswersIs the tightness in my arm a muscle spasm?

Question

Is the tightness in my arm a muscle spasm?

There is a tight feeling in my right arm. It is in the forearm. It is definitely tighter than the other one. Is this a muscle spasm?

Answer

This could definitely be a muscle spams or a muscle cramp, which are often caused by intense physical activity and also be overuse or fatigue injuries (such as typing on a computer all day). You may want to try resting the arm, as well as using ice and taking some over the counter anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or naproxen. However, if this doesn't work, you may want to see your primary care doctor for further advice. Most muscle injuries in the forearm are not very serious and they do tend to improve with rest. It is important, however, especially if this is a repetitive use or strain injury to figure out what caused it and how to prevent further injury in the future. For example, these kinds of injury are very common in desk jobs or jobs that involve other forms of repetitive muscle use at the wrist. Switching to ergonomic desks and computer keyboards can help a lot, as can taking regular breaks to stretch. Furthermore, your primary care doctor can assess to make sure there is no more serious injury, such as evidence of nerve inflammation or tendon inflammation. Make sure to mention if you have an particular areas of pain, numbness, or tingling.