ZocdocAnswersDo I have an inner ear problem if I'm having trouble with my coordination?

Question

Do I have an inner ear problem if I'm having trouble with my coordination?

Felt out of sorts lately like my coordination is off. Like I'll be standing there and just feel off balance. Does this mean I have an inner ear problem? I heard thats where your balance is controlled.

Answer

The inner ear has a few important functions, one of them being hearing. Another function of the inner ear is sensing motion and body position. If you turn your head quickly, or lean it to the side, your inner ear notifies your brain of this change in position. If the inner ear is malfunctioning, then you could develop what we call vertigo. Vertigo is the abnormal sensation caused by dysfunction of the inner ear that is most often described as spinning. This sensation can cause on to fall down, or become nauseous. Your symptoms of feeling like your coordination is off is unlikely to be an inner ear problem unless you also have that sensation of spinning. Combined with your balance issues, your problem may lie in a part of the brain called the cerebellum. This is the part of the brain where coordination and balance are controlled. There are multiple reasons for there to be problems in that area, but most of them involve long term alcohol use. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can perform a comprehensive neurological exam and determine if you have any noticeable problems with coordination and balance, and determine if any more testing needs to be done.